Search This Blog

Monday, October 10, 2011

Sunflower Seeds in the Salad

A little birdie (okay, a magazine) gave me a chicken salad tip recently that I put it to use today.  I don't like celery in my chicken salad, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate ways to jazz it up a bit (and don't suggest grapes - not my thing).  As usual, I mixed my rotisserie chicken (already cooked and spiced - a no brainer) with mayo, but then I mixed in some sunflower seeds.  It doesn't sound like much, but those sunflower seeds made all the difference.  They add texture, saltiness, and when it comes to nuts/seeds, they're some of the cheapest around.  I was trying to be healthy so I served the chicken salad in lettuce wraps instead of bread.    

I had some feta to use up, so my chicken salad lettuce wraps came with a side of veggie stacks.  I roasted some eggplant and topped with tomatoes, feta, and panko breadcrumbs.  I still haven't completely gotten the hang of roasting tomatoes, but the flavors were all there.

I can not tell you how nice it was to have Columbus Day off from work.  I'm very glad I took advantage of the extra time and made myself a real meal that I wouldn't normally get on a Monday workday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails