Search This Blog

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Yum Yum at Pio Pio

Since my parents were exhausted after a full day of travel and apartment hunting, we decided to stay close to their hotel for dinner on Friday night.  Lucky for me, a branch of Pio Pio, a chainlet of Peruvian restaurants was just around the corner.  I had never been there but had heard enough raves about the chicken that I felt confident in recommending it.

We started with the ceviche mixto that included sizable chunks of whitefish, octopus, shrimp, and calamari, tossed with lime juice, cilantro, and red onion.  It was a great ceviche, but I particularly liked the corn nuts that were served on the side.  For the main course, we got the Matador Combo, which was the chicken pio (a whole, Peruvian spiced chicken, much like really good rotisserie chicken), tostones (fried plantains), avocado salad, salchipapa (sausages and fries), and rice and beans.  It was all good but made even better when dipped in the green sauce they place on the table before the meal.  The Matador Combo was easily enough food for four people (I have the leftovers in my fridge to prove it) and only cost $34.  We washed that sweet deal down with one of the best pitchers of sangria I've had in a while.

With access to food like this, I can see why the Incan empire was the largest empire in pre-Columbian America.  With two locations on the East side and another two on the West, it should be easy for you to check it out for yourself.      






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails