Search This Blog

Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Jersey Rosh


I was a sad little Jew with nowhere to go for the high holidays this year until a Rosh Hashanah miracle happened.  While we were shopping for bridesmaid and wedding dresses, Steph’s future mother-in-law, whom I affectionately refer to as Mama Kauf, invited me to their house for dinner.  Leave it to a Jewish mother from Jersey to sniff out any Jew without dinner plans.

Next thing you know, I am boarding a train to Warren, New Jersey to celebrate Rosh Hashanah with the entire Kaufmann family.  As fun as it was to look at pictures of Gav from middle school, the best part of the evening had to be the food (and the company, of course).  Homemade matzah ball soup, pea salad, chicken, noodle kugel, kasha and bows, and brisket all made it onto the buffet.  I had been hearing about this kugel for four straight days, and it did not disappoint.  I am not well-versed in the ways of Jew food, but I have learned enough since I have lived here to know that I am a fan of sweet kugel (over unsweet).  This had just the right amount of cinnamon and was light as air. 

The desserts came courtesy of myself and the other guests who all brought goodies from various NYC bakeries.  My contribution came from Momofuku Milk Bar, but I didn’t have any of those treats, love them as I may.  Instead, I tried one of the massive cookies from Levain Bakery that I have heard so much about.  These cookies are what put this UWS bakery on the map.  They are something between a cookie and a scone and so rich that I couldn’t eat more than a quarter.  They are famous for the chocolate chip walnut, but I had to try the chocolate peanut butter that had about 10 peanut butter chips in each bite.  They were sinful and I can only imagine how ridiculous they would be if they were warmed for just a second. 

It was so nice of the Kaufmanns to invite me into their home and treat me as one of their own.  Mama Kauf even made me a tupperware package of her delicious food to take to work this morning.  I couldn't believe how they welcomed me into their home.  "You're family now," winked Gav's aunt as everyone was saying their goodbyes.  Awww!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails