Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Crabby Patty

Most of tonight's dinner came from the prepared food section of Whole Foods, but the appetizer was made by yours truly.  I found the recipe for herbed crab salad stuffed avocados in a magazine ages ago but always felt like I needed an occasion to make it.  Why?  Am I not special enough?

The consensus (from my focus group of one, me) was that I am indeed worthy of my very own spa style dish.  When you grow up in the Lowcountry, crab is part of most meals.  It didn't take long for me to realize that it's not all that common of an ingredient in the rest of the country.  Since I can't throw crab traps off the dock in this concrete jungle, I now think of crab as a special occasion ingredient.  Oh how my life has changed.

If you're willing to splurge on the ingredients, this appetizer is easy and sure to impress:

Mix crab meat (I used the claw meat because it is half the price of lump crab meat and still very tasty), diced celery, grated garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, mayo, and fresh herbs (I had basil on hand).  Pile the mixture on top of half an avocado.  It's that easy.  I've never been on a spa retreat, but I imagine this is what they serve you after your seaweed facial.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails