Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2011

Bastille Blowout


I kinda wish I was French.  Make no mistake, I don’t wish I spoke French (because I’m already fluent, booya); I wish I actually was française.  I wish I had French friends here in New York so I could pretend I was still living there, but instead I’m eating freedom fries and living an All American life. 

Though I have not made it back to France in quite some time, I did have a very French experience at the annual Bastille Day festival yesterday.  I love a good street fair, but this one puts the others to shame, and not just because it’s only a block away from my apartment.  Instead of the arepas and Egyptian cotton sheet vendors that usually populate the booths, there were macorons, crepes, merguez, mimes, and traditional French folk music.  I resisted the urge to mess with the mime and reminded myself I am no longer 13 years old.  Instead, I took the more mature route of buying a French novel I’m going to try to conquer in an effort to brush up on my French language skills.

If this is the first time you’re hearing of this particular street fair, I’m sorry; you’ll just have to wait til next year.  However, I do encourage you to take advantage of the specials that will inevitably be going on at French restaurants all around the city this Thursday (7/14) as that is actually Bastille Day. 

Vive la France!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails