Search This Blog

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Passover Play-by-Play: Day 2

Ok, two days into this holiday and I'm still going strong.  Let's break it down:
  • Lunch: I brought leftovers to work.  Turns out this was a bad idea.  Today I learned olive tapenade smells god-awful when heated up.  It looked and tasted good, but when I reheated it, it smelled terrible.  Everyone was walking by going "What's that smell?  It smells so weird in here," so I threw it away and washed the bowl rigorously.  It was very embarrassing.
  • Snack: Since lunch was a major fail, I snacked on some crudite that was left over from a meeting and lying around the office. Veggies and dip is a good snack any day of the week and totally Passover-friendly.
  • Dinner: I decided to build the meal around salmon because fish is considered neither milk nor meat - it can go either way.  Basically, it's the bisexual of the kosher world.  This means I get my protein and can still have cheese/dairy in the meal - best of both worlds.  I baked the salmon in lemon juice and capers and then topped it with a cucumber dill yogurt sauce.  This was a great way to cook fish.  Tons of flavor and very healthy (thanks to 0% Greek yogurt).  For the side dish, I tried a new recipe tonight and attempted a spinach pie/casserole.  I layered matzah (that I soaked in water first), spinach, mushrooms, and feta.  I should have probably used some egg and maybe cream to bind it all together, but this still worked.  The recipe will need to be tweaked, but it was a good start.   


So today was half good, half bad, but I'm only two days into this experiment and I anticipate my Passover food will only get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails