Search This Blog

Thursday, February 27, 2014

3 on Thursday

If you're a New Yorker, I highly recommend a weekend trip to Philly.  I went this past weekend as a belated anniversary/valentines celebration with Albert who planned the whole thing as a surprise.  I love exploring new places so a weekend getaway is ideal.  It's only about an hour and a half away so there's no need to take any time off work.  I was only there for about 34 hours but that was enough time for me to develop a little city crush.  There is a great food scene and a mix of neighborhood vibes that ranges from quaint historical to artsy.  Hopefully this week's "3 on Thursday" will inspire you to take a little trip.
There is great street art all around Philadelphia.  We saw tons of great murals, but this one in South Philly was one of my favorites.

  1. I'm not big on doing touristy things when I visit places.  My one exception for this trip was visiting the Rocky steps.  It's an iconic film scene that I just had to see for myself.  The idea was to then tour the art museum (that what those steps actually lead to) but none of the exhibits got us excited enough to pay the $20/person fee.  Instead of going into the museum we just sat on the steps and enjoyed the nice weather.  We knew temperatures would be dropping drastically this week so we wanted to take advantage of the warmth.  The people watching was a nice mix of tourists doing the Run while humming the theme song as well as local running groups.  Turns out Sly Stallone started a revolution working those steps into his training.  It was a complete coincidence that Albert wore that gray hoodie the day we visited the steps, but I'm glad his outfit choice was on theme.
  2. It's no Grand Central (one of my favorite places in all the land), but Philly has a pretty nice train station.  I loved the old wooden benches, stonework, and art deco fixtures.  It definitely beat Penn Station (where we left from) in terms of beauty and cleanliness.   
  3. I took being on vacation as an excuse to have a little sweet treat from Miel Patisserie by our hotel.  Mini fruit tarts have always been a favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails