Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Salad with Honey Mustard Thyme Chicken

I was in the mood for a big hearty salad, the kind that's topped with chicken and serves as a full meal.  I picked an easy chicken recipe by making honey mustard (honey + dijon mustard) and adding thyme.  I poured it over a row of boneless skinless chicken breasts that were lying in a baking dish in a nice cozy row.  I used the chicken that was pounded thin because I knew it would cook up in an instant.

While the chicken was cooking, I made a bed of butter lettuce and added some bell pepper, tomato, and avocado.  I topped it all with Trader Joe's feta dressing, which is surprisingly light.  If you don't have a Trader Joe's, make your own chunky version by mixing plain greek yogurt with crumbled feta, olive oil, garlic, dill, and oregano.  Thin it out with a little buttermilk.  I haven't made it myself so I can't speak to the proportions.  Who knows - olive oil may not even be necessary, but I'm guessing those ingredients are a good place to start.

When I was writing it all out I didn't think this salad was much of a recipe.  After all, it doesn't seem particularly innovative.  BUT I've never put this combo together in a dish before (especially not with the thyme - glad I added that in there) nor have I seen it on tons of menus.  So maybe it does qualify as innovative.  Just because it's simple and seemingly boring doesn't mean it's not good.  And if you haven't thought about making a salad this way then I've done my job, haven't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails