Search This Blog

Friday, December 14, 2012

Book Review: Testimony

My building has a wonderful little library in the laundry room - just one more thing that makes me love living here.  While I was waiting for the dryer to buzz, I decided to peruse the shelves for a title that jumped out at me.  I stopped when I saw "Testimony" by Anita Shreve.  I hadn't heard of this particular title, but I know that people seem to love Shreve's books, "The Pilot's Wife," in particular.  After reading the back cover that described a sex scandal that tears through a Vermont boarding school, ruining the lives of many, I decided this book was coming upstairs with me.

From the lunch lady to the perpetrators, the story is told through so many perspectives, it's hard to keep track.  You figure out who everyone is soon enough and appreciate the different insights they bring to the table.  They each only get a few pages at a time, which keeps you rapt, eager to see how each person will be affected.

The story takes place in 2006 and 2008, making the themes of teenage sex and alcohol use very real.  As you're reading, you can tell it's not an exaggerated depiction of what is happening with high school kids.  Let's not ask if it's happening; we know it is, so how can we prevent it from spiraling into situations like this...or is an attempt at prevention futile?

The biggest question is who is at fault?  Is it the adults who had an affair?  The 18 year old boys who should have known better?  The parents who should have been more involved?  Or the 14 year old siren who more than consented?  The law says one thing, your head may say another.  My personal thought: that little Sienna is quite the bitch.

4 out of  5 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails