Search This Blog

Thursday, December 6, 2012

3 on Thursday

Between now and Christmas break, I think I have one weeknight to myself.  Maybe two.  I'm exhausted just thinking about it.
My Mom has always been good with brooches and bangles.  I, on the other hand, tend to stick to one or two jewelry pieces and wear them every day.  I am too afraid I'll get it wrong when mixing and stacking jewelry so I don't even try.  That sort of meek attitude won't get me anywhere in life!  It's time I amped up my jewelry collection and Bauble Bar is the perfect place for me to stock up on fun, trendy pieces.  Not only is everything very "now," the prices are great.  They get even better when they offer their deeply discounted buried baubles each week.  When I decided to put together a pleated skirt/turtlneck combo I knew It needed a chunky statement necklace to complete the look and this is the best place to get it.

I'M TUMBLING!  I always thought tumblr was basically another blog platform (like blogspot vs. wordpress) so I assumed I was good to go with the blog I've got.  After reading an article about the year's best tumblrs I realized a blog and a tumblr are two different beasts.  While blogs are all about writing, tumblrs use more mixed media and typically feature snack sized content.  tumblr is also a more social environment.  While blogs are destinations, they're not usually viewed in a stream.  tumblr is all about streaming so you can see what your friends or favorite writers post constantly.  Because posts are usually small, they lend themselves to sharing more than a typical blog.  I am in NO way abandoning this blog.  If anything, I am more committed to posting regularly.  However, as a media professional, I see the benefit using different social media avenues.  Plus, I think it's cool.  When it comes to social media, don't just be there to be there.  I can't tell you how many companies use Facebook or Twitter without thinking how to best leverage those platforms for their brand.  In some cases, doing social media poorly is worse than not doing it at all.  While I could talk about best business practices for a while, I won't bore you.  I will, however, mention one of my rules of thumb.  (::Free advice!::)  Don't repurpose content.  Instead, play up the assets of each space.  For me, that means using this blog for [by internet standards] longform content.  As I'm sure you've noticed, this is basically a food blog, with the exception of book reviews and "3 on Thursday" (which still features lots of food).  It will remain so.  My tumblr, She's Mad, She'll Get Glad  is based on one of my Mom's best pieces of advice.  When someone is acting pissy for no good reason, her motto is "If she's mad, she'll get glad."  Basically, it means the brat's gotta buck up and put a smile on her face and we need to not let her get us down.  An example: "Mom, I put so much effort into this huge dinner but Jane is upset because I'm serving pasta instead of rice.....Well, Tess, if she's mad she'll get glad.  You've put too much time into this to worry about one person."  I try not to walk around like a Negative Nancy and don't like having any of those around me so my tumblr is going to have regular posts meant only to put a smile on your face.  It's a lot easier to go from mad to glad after seeing this stuff.  I don't plan on repeating what I've already posted on Instagram or Twitter so this will be something totally new - follow me!
When scaffolding went up right in front of the new, upscale florist by my apartment, he used it to his advantage.  I didn't even notice the pile of trash on the sidewalk after through this Winter Wonderland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails