Search This Blog

Monday, June 4, 2012

Francois Payard Macarons

A new Francois Payard Bakery just opened near my office on Friday and as an opening day special, they offered a free macaron with any purchase.  Macarons are one of my favorite treats, especially when they come in fun flavors, so I jumped at the opportunity to get a freebie from a famous bakery.

I'm a big fan of Payard truffles, expensive though they may be, so I figured the macarons would be fabulous.  I immediately liked two things: the flavor selection and the price.  At $2.25, they are a little less expensive than other places and the flavors went beyond the typical chocolate/raspberry/pistachio/lemon foursome.  I wanted to try several (and one was a freebie so, really, what was the harm in getting an assortment) so I went with a trio of cassis, passionfruit, and salted caramel.

In addition to the meringue being a little soggy, I found the texture and amount of filling to be inconsistent.  The salted caramel had a thick layer of rich filling but the other flavors were not nearly as strong and were a little creamier.  In case I need to spell it out, I was a little disappointed.  They weren't bad, but I've had better macarons, at Macaron Cafe, for instance.  In general, the food and desserts at Francois Payard Bakery are good, but if I want to really satisfy a macaron craving, I may have to go elsewhere.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails