Search This Blog

Friday, June 22, 2012

Fava Fave

Until a couple months ago the only thing I knew about fava beans was the line from "Silence of the Lambs."  I couldn't have told you what they tasted or even looked like.  Then I was at The Smile and they were incorporated into a crostini and I was a newfound fan.  I am picky when it comes to beans and don't like when they're all mushy.  These are closer in size to limas but firmer (so in my mind, better) and a much prettier bright green.

I'm not usually a Fresh Direct gal but decided to try it since there are no good grocery stores by my new apartment.  When I saw favas were on special I was intrigued but hesitant.  I had no idea how to cook them.  Thankfully, Fresh Direct populates recipes when you click on a particular ingredient, solving my "what the heck do I do with these" problem.  A few point and clicks later, I had a delivery scheduled.

I expected the fava beans to arrive ready to cook but apparently there's a nice little prep process involved.  The favas come in huge pods that need to be shelled and then each bean needs to be skinned.  It was a little more than I bargained for.  It wasn't difficult, but it certainly wasn't "heat and eat."  I was happy my phone rang while I was shelling so I could put my Mom on speaker and chat away, making the prep work go much faster.

The recipe I found could not have been easier - or tastier!  You won't believe how good three ingredients will taste.  Put olive oil and about 1/4 cup water in a pan and add the fava beans with salt.  Shake/flip em around every once in a while to get all sides, but let them simmer away til tender, about 15-20 minutes, depending on how big they are.  Meanwhile, cook up whatever short pasta you like.  I stopped by Eataly and picked up some of their fresh pasta.  I went with the agnoloti quadratti, which is filled with prosciutto,  parmesan, and other yumminess.  It was still the small size I wanted but had the meat filling that took this from veggie side dish to main course.  While those two items are cooking, tear up some basil and toss it with olive oil, salt, and pepper (enough to dress the whole dish).  When everything is done cooking, toss it together and you have one of the best pasta dishes I've eaten in a long time.

And I know you think I may be exaggerating but it really was one of the best pastas I've made.  Maybe it was the fresh pasta.  Or perhaps it was the seasonal ingredients.  Who knows, I could have just been really hungry and anything would have tasted great.  Whatever it was, I loved this dish and am still shocked it used only three ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails