Search This Blog

Friday, June 8, 2012

Book Review: Tar Baby

Toni Morrison is one of the most lauded writers of our time and I can understand why after experiencing her unique structure in this novel, Tar Baby.  The [3rd person] narration's focus flows from character to character without pause, mirroring the Caribbean waters that play their own role in the novel.

Writing prowess aside, I was disappointed in the ending of the novel.  [**Spoiler Alert!**]  I was angry that after the grand revelation of Margaret's abuse of her son, nobody made any effort to make amends with the boy who was clearly damaged.  Perhaps it is a realistic version of how things may have turned out - it is hard to begin fixing such a rupture in the familial unit after so many years.  However, if we are going with realistic, the romance between Son and Jadine made no sense to me.  It takes love at first sight to a new level.  Someone with Jade's worldly view would not run away with a man like Son.  Yes, in the end she comes to her senses and it seems everything goes back to normal (Jade running around Europe getting wooed, the Streets avoiding their problems in the Caribbean, Ondine and Sydney loyally serving them), but I don't think the romance would have started in the first place.

I know people write their college theses on Toni Morrison, but I just wasn't totally feeling this.  Am I totally missing something?  I appreciated the writing style and the examination of both white guilt, class, and freedom, but I think I liked the flesh more than the bones of the story.

2 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails