Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Story on "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle"

Last night, I finished reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by Dave Wroblewski.  It was a *nice* novel about a mute boy who has suffered a tragedy and his loyal dog companion.  Though enjoyable, it was very slow.  It picked up around the halfway point, but when you're dealing with a 562 page book, that's a lot of reading to do before it gets interesting.  I also felt the author left a lot of loose ends.  Hint to writers: if you're going to tease me with a new character or plot line, do it all the way. 

The novel was a modern day Hamlet, a fact I didn't realize until I checked out the interview with the author in the back of the book.  Of course then it became absurdly obvious.  Silly Tess.  After absorbing that bit of info, I found the story much more interesting. 

Oprah, this wasn't an awful pick, but not your best.  Next up: The Help - stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails