Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Ikea Cafeteria

What if I told you I just went to a great new restaurant but it's a little out of the way?  I'm sure you would ask just how far out we're talking.  Well, it's in the middle of nowhere in Brooklyn, and I had to take a subway and shuttle to get there.  Most people would reserve a trek like that for a James Beard nominee or whatever restaurant the latest Top Chef winner has just opened.  Me, I make that trip for Ikea.  

I was on a mission for night stands that I plan to kiss with a little DIY tenderness and food was the last thing on my mind.  Once I arrived I realized my grumbling stomach needed to be tended to and this may be my rare chance to finally try the Ikea food court.  I am completely sold.  Some food is better than others, but one quick glance and you can figure out which items to go for.  I'll give you a hint: go with the meatballs.  Nothing is more Swedish than meatballs and they do a fine job.  For $4.99 you get a huge plate of about 20 meatballs, lingonberry sauce, mashed potatoes, and gravy.  That $4.99 is the combo price, which means you also get a side salad or soup (the salad is measly; go with the soup, especially if it was the sweet butternut squash and apple that I had) and a fountain drink.  Other than those characters in the Dragon Tattoo series, it seems like all Swedish people are super nice.  They were happy to offer a taste of the meatballs before I committed and allowed me to trade my fountain drink for an elderflower juice box.  My drink choice was both because I'm not a Pepsi fan and because elderflower sounded extra Swedish.  It was the exact opposite of Pepsi, and by that I mean it was good.  It was Vitamin Water-esque and tasted like Sweden.  Sweden tastes like melting snow and efficiency.

I love my night stands, but Ikea could stop producing furniture altogether and I would still be happy.  Even McDonald's looks expensive next to this lil restaurant whose meal is much more well-rounded.  It seems a little extreme to go all the way to Ikea for lunch, so make up some bogus excuse about needing new throw pillows and get you some Swedish meatballs, pronto.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails