Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

BLZ

I had just a couple slices of bacon left in my fridge and my mind started reeling with the possibilities since, really, you can put bacon in just about anything.  My first thought was to make a BLT.  I thought it might be a great time to re-create a fried green tomato BLT I had at a restaurant, but then I decided to take it a step further with the BLZ: bacon, lettuce, and zucchini.  The taste is similar and the name rhymes with that of the original so I figured I wasn't straying too far from my starting point.

I crisped up applewood smoked bacon while I coated slices of zucchini with flour, egg, and panko bread crumbs and quickly pan fried them.  The zucchini only took a minute to fry up and remained juicy inside their golden brown casing.  After layering the zucchini, bacon, and lettuce, I smeared the top piece of toast with a thick layer of lemon pepper mayonnaise.  Because I hate runny and/or mealy tomatoes, and that's a risk you have to take when you work with them, I actually preferred using the zucchini.  No risk necessary.  Each layer of the sandwich - bread included - has a distinct crunch that makes this sandwich so gratifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails