Search This Blog

Monday, March 26, 2012

It's a Snap

When I knew I had leftover chicken to eat last week, I decided to make the rest of the meal more interesting by trying out a new side dish.  Much like the shrimp and quinoa salad I made last week, this would make for a great picnic vegetable.  Trim sugar snap peas and cut them in half along the diagonal.  Then boil them until they're a nice bright green (about 3 min).  After boiling them, I should have plunged them into an ice bath to shock them into maintaining that great color, but, alas, I did not.  While they're cooking, slice some radishes and mix your dressing of chopped mint, olive oil, white wine vinegar, pepper, lemon juice, and sumac.  Toss it all together along with some ricotta salata.  Ricotta salata is a very light cheese, another reason this would be a welcome addition to a picnic menu.  This salad has a great crunch as well as some herbs and spices that are not quite as common.  After three cook outs featuring the standard potato salad with the same old seasonings, you'll love seeing this on the spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails