Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Diablo Royale Este

I've been to both Diablo Royale locations plenty of times for the bar, but this is the first time I've eaten there.  Looks like they're more than just micheladas - they make a pretty serious taco.  Since I was still a little full from lunch and was already stuffing myself with chips and salsa, I went with the two tacos for $16 (vs. three for $19).

It's not hard to find a plain chicken taco so I wanted to try two of the more interesting tortilla pockets.  On the left you'll see the Al Pastor, which is chili and pineapple marinated pork with pineapple salsa and crema.  The pork was tender but although it sounds like this would be packed with pineapple flavor, it could have used a little more of a citrus punch.  On the right is the fried oyster taco, topped with lemon cumin aioli, cilantro, and sweet canela plantains.  I really enjoyed this one.  There were plenty of large oysters and the cumin in the aioli gave it a little more substance than the traditional lemon you're used to seeing with oysters.  The taste wasn't the only reason I liked this one.  As I sunk into my second big bite, my chompers landed on something hard - not what you want to feel when most ingredients are on the soft side.  Turns out I found a pearl.  That has to be some sort of lucky sign.  If only I could find about 50 more for a bracelet...

There were two downsides to the meal.  First, they asked if we wanted heat in our guacamole appetizer and we responded with an enthusiastic "yes."  However, our guac was about as mild as it gets.  It would have been fine if they hadn't asked, but once they gave us the option they needed to come to the table, especially when it's $9 for a pretty small bowl.  The next meal setback came as Matt was about two bites into his fajitas.  Through no fault of the restaurant something went down the wrong pipe and he was choking.  For real choking.  He and Karina needed to leave early, leaving Brad and I to decide whether or not it was appropriate to eat the extra two meals.  After a bite or two of their food, we just felt weird and left for another bar with more positive energy.

Freaky choking aside, I was happy with Diablo's tacos.  I think there may be other (perhaps better) places to get good Mexican/tacos, but if you're already going for the bar scene, pull out a chair and grab yourself an oyster taco.  If nothing else, you'll expand your jewelry collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails