Search This Blog

Thursday, March 29, 2012

3 on Thursday

I'm sorry if you were missing "3 on Thursday" last week, but there just wasn't enough time to update the blog while my parents were here.  Now that they are back home in Savannah, I'm back on the blogging track and ready to present you with three things I'm pretty sure you need to try.

About a week and a half ago I decided to treat myself to a nice new lipstick.  I had been seeing some beautiful corals on all the cool lips around town, so I figured it was time to invest.  I absolutely love how Emily from Cupcakes and Cashmere rocks her lip color, and she seems to use Chanel often so that was my first stop.  Kelly at the Bloomingdale's Chanel makeup counter was great.  I told her I wanted to try the coral trend but didn't know what worked best with my skin tone.  She found the perfect shade immediately.  Peregrina has a nice salmon tint that's not too orange-y.  Yes, $32 is a lot to spend on lipstick but it was worth it for a couple reasons.  If I had gone to Duane Reade, I would have spent a quarter of the price but would have inevitably chosen the wrong color and would need to go back [multiple times] for something better, spending virtually the same price.  This will be my go-to color for the Spring/Summer so I think it's worth the investment.  I applied this lipstick and felt like a new person, ready for the Spring weather and all the fun that usually comes with it.  That feeling was worth $32.
While my parents were here, we decided to take advantage of my MoMA membership and the $5 guest passes that come with it.  If you haven't been to the museum lately, I recommend checking out the Diego Rivera music exhibit.  I knew nothing about Rivera before last Sunday, but really enjoyed learning about him.  In addition to exposing me to a new type of art, the exhibit shed some light on the Rockefellers, Rivera's biggest patrons.  I love getting a little NYC history along with my art!

I love Broadway, a fondness I definitely acquired from my parents.  I often take in shows by myself (a perk of working in the Theater District), but I love going with my parents when they're in town.  I wasn't too excited to see Memphis.  I didn't think its 2010 Tony win was a big deal because there was very slim pickins that year - it felt like settling.  I'm happy to say I was proven wrong.  Memphis is a great musical about "black" music going mainstream in the 50s.  The songs had me tapping my feet and the dialogue kept things punchy.  As a nice little surprise, I walked in to see Adam Pascal playing the lead.  As someone who has seen Rent six times (including once with the original cast when they returned at the end of the show's run), it was a real treat to see him live.  Memphis does rush, but if that doesn't fit into your plans, you can get balcony seats for $66.  It's a small theater so balcony seats are still great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails