Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Spring Saute

Last night I tried a new side dish that featured some gorgeous Spring vegetables...even though it's the middle of Fall.  When I found this recipe, I knew I didn't want to wait for the ground to thaw before I could try it.  The vegetables were still very flavorful so I recommend making it soon, even in the off-season.

I was looking for shallots but couldn't find them so I used cipollini onions instead and found them to be the perfect substitute.  So adaptation to the recipe #1 went over well.  I sauteed the onions in butter and once they looked good, added asparagus.  Once the asparagus cooked through, I added salt, pepper, and frozen peas.  At this point, you're almost done because the peas will only take a minute to warm up.  Now we're up to recipe adaptation #2: red wine vinegar, which I believe also improved the final product.  And finally, stir in the secret ingredient.  "A secret ingredient?" you say.  Why yes, there is a twist to this recipe.  Drizzle some honey - yes, honey - over the vegetables, mix in, remove from the heat, and serve.

This side dish was easy, healthy, and a great accompaniment to the mahi mahi I made for the entree.  Honey may sound like a weird thing to add to vegetables - and I was skeptical too - but it just worked.  When combined with the red wine vinegar, sweet onions, and butter, the asparagus and peas were lightly and perfectly dressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails