Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Movie Review: Win Win

I had my most recent Netflix sitting on my coffee table for over two weeks and decided I was not going to let last weekend pass without watching it.  Now I'm sad I waited so long.  Win Win follows Mike, played by Paul Giamatti, as he stops simply going through the motions and starts to feel again.  His reason for getting excited about life is Kyle, who stumbles into his world after Mike becomes his grandfather's legal guardian in a somewhat unscrupulous fashion.  Kyle's presence somehow breaks up the ennui that has settled into each character, just as Bobby Cannavale's character breaks up the serious plot with bursts of comedy.

This film is somehow heartwarming without being sappy - a line that is hard to toe.  It may have been one of those smaller Sundance films, but that doesn't mean it was too brainy.  Perhaps it was the perfect casting or the fact that it was realistic without being depressing, but it was entirely satisfying in a way that made me want to shake the director's hand and say "Job well done."   


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails