Search This Blog

Monday, November 14, 2011

Karina Cooks

On Friday night, Matt, Karina, and I continued what we are trying to make a monthly tradition: little dinner parties for each other, alternating hosts.  This month was Matt and Karina's turn and Karina prepared an amazing dinner.  Matt's participation was limited to sous chefage and cheese picking, though his cheese selection was superb.
Place card featuring the menu - love seeing "Guest of Honor" next to my name; it makes me feel as famous as Beyonce.
The first course actually consisted of three appetizers, so I'm not sure you could consider it one simple course.  Karina prepared two crostinis, one with ricotta and roasted heirloom tomatoes and another with mushrooms and chives.  Both were good but the heirloom grape tomatoes were sweet, juicy, and perfectly roasted - I'll be stealing that recipe (one of several I'll be taking from the evening).  We also had a cheese plate with cornichons and olives.  This is where Matt came in handy. He raided the Trader Joe's cheese section and came back with a gorgonzola, a truffled something (does the type really matter - it's truffles and cheese, nuff said), and a mushroom brie. 

For the entree, they had prepared Moroccan chicken that was made with an interesting blend of spices including cinnamon and [I think] cardamom.  Whatever spices they used, they were good.  The chicken was served alongside sauteed kale that used a total of three ingredients: kale, garlic, and dried cherries.  Garlic and kale seems like a no-brainer but the sometimes bitter kale went perfectly with the sweet cherries, which also tied the vegetable to the Moroccan flavor of the chicken.

For dessert we had biscotti with a twist: port wine.  Karina has spent a significant amount of time in Italy and explained many Italians traditionally dip their biscotti in port.  This is a custom I can get behind!  Port is not something I usually order or buy for myself, but I may have to get in the habit because it was a wonderful way to end the meal.  I feel like drinking port is a baroque pastime, akin to retiring to the library for brandy and cigars.  Hey, if it aint baroque, don't fix it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails