Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A+ for A+

Last night, I was lucky enough to have a sleepover with one of my old roomies from college, Michelle.  She was in town checking out NYU for grad school to help her decide between there and GW.  I would really like her in NYC with me, so please feel free to type all the reasons you dislike DC in the comments.

We didn't want to stay cooped up in the apartment so we headed to a new Thai place in the neighborhood called A+ Thai.  Located on 53rd and 2nd, the tiny restaurant has only been open two months but already seems to have a good following.  The loyal customers are probably the result of the BYOB policy.  I have mentioned before how special BYOB places are in this city and this one is exceptional because they do not charge a corkage fee.  True, it was a Monday night, but since I only have a three day week I felt entitled to a little vino.  Monday was my Wednesday.  Booya.

I can't really complain about the food.  The green salad left something to be desired.  I was happy to find fried tofu on the top, but it was soggy and better off pushed to the side.  The rock shrimp were nothing out of the ordinary but good.  I liked that they put the sauce on the side so my shrimp weren't slathered with the spicy mayo.  The entree was easily the best part of the meal.  My pad see ew had great flavor and large chunks of meat and veggies.  Overall, it was solid neighborhood Thai food, but the free corkage BYOB made it atypical and amazing.  The service was also awesome.  The owner himself served our dinner and was unbelievably nice.  In case you go looking for him, his name is Peter and when he talks to you, he actually seems interested.  Refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails