Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2011

A New Type of Spaghetti

Last night I made spaghetti squash for the first time and I have to admit, the hardest part of the recipe was cutting the squash in half (I think I broke a sweat trying to get my knife through!).  I found a recipe that basically used spaghetti squash to replace actual spaghetti, which kept this new vegetable in familiar territory.

All I did was place a spaghetti squash half, cut side down, in a dish with 1/2 cup water and microwaved it for about 12 minutes.  While that was going, I sauteed sweet Italian sausage, crushed red pepper, and greens in a saucepan, which finished cooking right when the microwave started beeping.  I shredded the spaghetti squash in a bowl and then mixed fresh grated parmesan and topped it with the sausage and greens.  In less than 15 minutes I had a full meal, a blessing since I didn't get home til 8:30.

I thought it would be just ok, but it was delicious!  I (an admitted pasta addict) didn't even miss the actual spaghetti.  I'm no Mom, but I feel like this would be the perfect way to sneak more veggies into your kid's diet.  For this big kid, it was the perfect way to lighten up one of my normal meals and try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails