Search This Blog

Friday, June 21, 2013

Potato Salad with Yogurt, Arugula, and Dill

As a child, I watched in horror as people would pile grocery store potato salad on their plates at grill outs.  It looked like a gross mess and even made a weird "squirslop" sound as it plunked onto the plastic dinnerware.  In recent years, however, I've become a fan of potato salad when it's homemade with good ingredients and not overdressed.  In most cases, this means if I want the kind of potato salad I like, I need to make it myself.

I've found a new favorite recipe that is practically as easy to make as it is to buy that weird slop from the grocery store that I refuse to eat.  The best part is that it incorporates better ingredients not usually found in potato salad so I guarantee your fellow picnic goers will thank you for taking the initiative to change it up.

Cut up small red potatoes into bite size portions and boil til fork tender.  While they're boiling, take a few moments to exert the only real [minimal] effort this dish requires: cut shallots super thin and mix your dressing.  The dressing is just 2 parts greek yogurt to 1 part low fat mayo and salt/pepper to taste.  It's so simple but when these two ingredients come together, you have a tangy sauce that seems like it has more layers than it actually does.  Drain your potato chunks and run them under cool water to bring them closer to room temp.  Toss the potatoes with the shallots, dressing, fresh dill, and roughly chopped arugula.

If we work together, we can make sure this is the only kind of potato salad served at summer parties.  I have faith in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails