Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Book Review: This Is Where I Leave You

Believe it or not, I learned about this book a long time ago from Diana Agron's tumblr but then ended up reading another one of Jonathan Tropper's novels first.  I thoroughly enjoyed "The Book of Joe," but while I gave that one a 7.5 out of 10, "This Is Where I Leave You" is easily an 8.  Again, Tropper mixes humor and heartbreak to make for a highly believable story because life is never all one and not the other.

Just after Judd Foxman finds his wife mid-cheat with his boss, he finds out his father has died.  When he returns home for the funeral, he learns that his father's dying wish was for the whole family to sit shiva, the Jewish tradition of a 7-day mourning period.  Within moments, all siblings are at each others' throats; but through the course of the week, they come to terms with the reasons they all harbor such deep resentment towards each other.

Most coming of age stories watch a pubescent teenager become a woman or hit a recent college grad with the harsh realities of life.  "This Is Where I Leave You" has everyone coming of age in their late 30s.  I guess it's never too late to grow up.

8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails