Search This Blog

Monday, January 30, 2012

JBird Brings Mixology to the UES

I love my Upper East Side bar scene.  It consists of dive bars and wine bars, which are my kinda watering holes.  However, every once in a while it's nice to do something different, which is why I'm glad JBird Cocktails opened on Thursday night.  As an opening night special, they offered two-for-one drinks, a special too good for Lindsay and I to pass up.

The walls are dark brick and subway tile and the seating is a mix of huge round booths, two-tops, and a high, long, communal table.  We were seated at this long table where we befriended our neighbors and tried each others' drinks.  I tried the JBird Swizzle, which I think sounds like a dance from the 50s, and Lindsay ordered the Thornybush.  I can't remember what came in each of the cocktails (mine had a splash of pineapple juice, Lindsay's had kaffir lime and a bay leaf), but I can tell you that there was a nice eye for detail in each of the drinks, like the metal straw in mine.

Neither of us had eaten so we decided to split a small entree and a meat and cheese plate.  There are about  seven cheeses and just as many meats on the menu.  You can choose any combination for a total of 5 for $15, 7 for $17, or 9 for $19.  The price was reasonable and I liked that you were able to mix meats and cheeses.  For the entree, we ordered cheesy polenta with wild mushrooms, fingerling potatos, and a poached egg.  Since it was the vegetarian entree, it was priced at only $14, but I don't think they're giving this meat-free dish enough credit.  It was creamy and delicious.  I've seen poached eggs make their way into plenty of dishes lately, but polenta is not one of them.  Once again, it worked.

A bar that focuses on mixology is a new concept to an area of Manhattan that usually falls into one of two categories: old school or fratty.  I'm glad we can now add trendy to the list.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails