Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Book Review: The Sense of an Ending

I started to give this book 3 stars (out of 5) but bumped it up to 4 when I realized how badly I wanted to discuss it with people.  It's always a good sign when you can't get a story out of your head.  Perhaps that's why it's called The Sense of an Ending - there are no more pages to be read, but I feel there is more story to be told.

Julian Barnes' novella is narrated by Tony Webster who proves that memory is a tricky thing.  I don't think Tony is the only one who remembers only what is convenient, but he seems to take it to the next level.  Even when evidence points to the fact that his actions have had a huge impact on several lives, he trivializes them.  It is only as his memories come back in pieces that you realize how he non-nonchalantly looks at things that deserve a more thoughtful approach.  He is a frustrating character because you watch as he continues to make assumptions because he doesn't care to ask the right questions, even though history should have taught him better.   

I don't want to give anything away, so I won't pose any of my questions to you, but I will ask that you read it so we can partake in book club-like discussions.  It's only 163 small pages that you'll breeze through in two sittings max.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails