Search This Blog

Friday, September 19, 2014

Rice with Mushrooms and Onions

This side dish is basically cheating it's so easy.  Cook some rice (I use a rice cooker because it's easier than easy, but an old fashioned pot is totes fine) and while there's about 10 minutes left, sauté mushrooms and onions in butter with salt and pepper.  Or if you're using a rice cooker, it just chills on the warmer setting so you just start sautéing whenever you feel like it.  Tip: add some extra butter at the end and let it start melting just before you combine the mushrooms and onions with the rice.  This way, you'll have a nice butter coating on the rice.  Everything should have a butter coating.  I should have a butter coating.

Here's the kicker: use canned mushrooms.  You don't have to wash em.  You don't have to chop em.  It's just so easy.  No, they don't taste like fresh mushrooms...they almost taste like a different type of food altogether.  But every once in a while I kind of prefer it.  Sort of like how I sometimes prefer a McDonald's cheeseburger over a fancy big bistro burger.  The heart wants what it wants.  Perhaps I like this different flavor because it's what I grew up with since this was a go-to side dish for my Mom.  In fact, when I texted my Mom to make sure that was really all I needed in the way of ingredients, she responded that she was actually making it that night as well.  Like mother, like daughter.      

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails