Search This Blog

Monday, September 29, 2014

Lamb Kofta, Rice wtih Scallions and Peas, & Cucumber Yogurt

Kofta is a Middle Eastern or Indian meatball.  I was lucky enough to find lamb version with masala sauce in the freezer section of Trader Joe's ($4.99!) that required no more than 8-10 minutes in a pan.  They are so flavorful - coriander, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric - so many spices!  As long as they like lamb, even non-indian belivers could be swayed by these.

This is a PRIME example of making a full, home cooked meal with a little help from the store.  The meatballs came from a box but then I ran with it so you almost forget I didn't do the bulk of the work.  It seemed like a no-brainer to serve the kofta over rice.  But of course I didn't want just any rice so I folded in some scallions, peas, and parsley.  I topped the whole thing with Greek yogurt that I mixed with chopped cucumber, salt, and pepper.  It all worked perfectly together.  The baby peas are a little sweet so they picked up the cinnamon in the masala sauce.  The kofta had a little heat so the yogurt was perfect for cooling it all off.  If you don't have a Trader Joe's, you may want to look up kofta recipes.  It would make this meal more difficult to prepare and would certainly take more than the 20-25 minutes it took me, but it would be worth it.  

I was really happy with how this meal turned out, but after patting myself on the back for five minutes, I had to remind myself that I didn't actually cook the kofta myself.  Whatever.  Having the wherewithall to pull it all together has to be worth something, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails