Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

#GivingTuesday

I mentioned the wonderful holiday that is #GivingTuesday in yesterday's "Monday Reads", but I want to make sure you know I'm not all talk and no action so I am confirming that I have, indeed, made a donation today and am encouraging you to do the same.

The holiday season is all about excess.  We all compare who can eat more on Thanksgiving, who can shop more on Black Friday, and who can drink more at the Christmas parties.  In the span of a month we are very self-indulgent and it couldn't hurt to make one day about others.  

Once I found a charity that meant something to me, giving was an easy and natural next step.  I made my donation to the Joyful Heart Foundation, an organization devoted to ending domestic violence, sexual assault, and child abuse.  It was founded by actress Mariska Hargitay, whose work on Law & Order: SVU showed her the lasting and devastating effects of abuse.  This cause is personal to me but may not be for you.  I don't really care; I just care that you give so find a cause that matters to you and make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails